Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Redeeming Love

Psalm 116.1-9
1 I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. 2 Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. 3 The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. 4 Then I called on the name of the LORD : "O LORD, save me!" 5 The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. 6 The LORD protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me. 7 Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. 8 For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, 9 that I may walk before the LORD in the land of the living.

Sometimes in our lives, we simply need to be reminded of God's redeeming love. When our lives toss and turn from turmoil, trials, and temptations, we know that we can turn to the Lord for safety, comfort, rest, and peace. The Psalmist knew this. In Psalm 116 we get a beautiful picture of God redeeming the Psalmist. The Psalmist proclaims that "[the Lord] heard [his] voice" and his "cry for mercy." It has always been somewhat strange to me that a God powerful enough to create a universe and judge the world's wickedness would reach out His hand and "[protect] the simplehearted." And yet that is the God we serve. Our God is large enough to solve our problems, yet close enough to care about solving them. In fact, He already has them solved. The Lord knows you and I better than we know ourselves. Jesus says in Luke 12.7 that "the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Wow! God knows each and every detail of our life, every aspect of every nerve ending etched into your brain that helps make you who you are. Every part of your spirit has been breathed into by the very breath of His mouth. A God who loves that much will and does redeem His children.

This says a great deal about God's relationship with us. Most people in Western culture see God as little more than an inspector who issues tests and trials, noting who passes and who doesn't. They believe that if you go to church every Sunday, try not to curse, don't commit adultery, and talk about him at least once a week, then you go to heaven. If you don't do those things, they say, you go to hell. That is such a simplistic, naive, and downright false view. Beloved, God LOVES His children. As Christians, we cannot accept the conclusion of Western society. God IS Love, and that means His relationship with us is far more than as a simple inspector. He has shown through Christ's sacrifice that He loves us deeply enough to "[deliver our souls] from death, [our] eyes from tears, and [our] feet from stumbling." Beloved, this is so comforting. This is a sure-fire way to keep a gentle, positive, and Christ-like spirit throughout your day.

Take comfort in the fact that God has redeemed you through Christ, and that He is redeeming you each day! If you have not been recognizing His redemption, or if you have never experienced it, come and let Christ redeem you. What does the Word say? It says that "the Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion." He "protects the simplehearted." Beloved, allow Christ to redeem you today. Let Him wrap you in His love so that you may be full in the love of Christ. Amen.

With love in Christ,



Austin Aldrich

No comments:

Post a Comment