Sunday, May 16, 2010

Learning to Be Content

Learning to Be Content
Phl 4:10-13 NIV - [10] I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. [11] I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

One of the most difficult transitions in life is the transition into being needed. For some it occurs in one’s teenage years, for others in college or early adulthood. Regardless, there is a fundamental shift in the lifestyle of the individual needed. His once sea of vacant time is now bombarded with endless arrows of meetings, activities, duties, and traveling. We all know exactly how this feels. We can grow frustrated and discontent in these situations. We mumble under our breaths at work or school or on the road. We would rather be home or doing something else—anything but the duties God has assigned us to.

During these times, we must rejoice. This is a fundamental attitude shift in western culture. We are taught to hate our jobs, hate our commute, and hate any excess time spent with people or situations that does not involve doing what we want to do. I was perplexed when I first started working because I never felt these things. I enjoyed working and the knowledge I learned from it, the driving gave me a chance to catch up on audiobooks and podcasts, and I built meaningful relationships. Most importantly, I was able to sew the seeds of the Gospel in the workplace. The source of this was not my own discipline, but Christ working in me. Philippians explains it best: “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” Making positive situations out of negative ones is not merely wishful idealism—it is the fundamental basis for the Christian’s life. The disciple Paul explains that, in spite of his hard life where he rarely had free time, rest, or comfort, he “learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”

What is that secret? Paul says that he can be content because he “can do everything through Him who gives [him] strength.” Contentment means we accept whatever situation God puts us in. We rely on Him to get us through the day, weeks, months, and years. I remember hearing stories of apostles spending years being tortured, then finally being released. Rather than doubt God, they turned increasingly towards him. Their experiences taught them something. They suffered for the Gospel. They learned to be content in their situations.

In this busy world, learn to be content wherever you are. Don’t worry about when you will get home, what you will do and how you will have time to do it. If you do God’s will, He will make all the time you need for the things that really matter. Take your eyes off the clock and place them on Jesus. If you haven’t been living life in the moment, begin today. Ask the Lord for help in achieving this. It is a day-by-day process, but you can learn the secret of contentness—in health or sickness, enjoyment or boredom, poverty or riches. As long as we have our Lord with us, we have all we ever need. Amen.

With love in Christ,

Austin Aldrich

No comments:

Post a Comment