Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Lord Provides

The Lord Provides

Gen 24:12-15, 62-67 NLT - [12] "O LORD, God of my master," he prayed. "Give me success and show kindness to my master, Abraham. Help me to accomplish the purpose of my journey. [13] See, here I am, standing beside this spring, and the young women of the village are coming out to draw water. [14] This is my request. I will ask one of them for a drink. If she says, `Yes, certainly, and I will water your camels, too!'--let her be the one you have appointed as Isaac's wife. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master." [15] As he was still praying, a young woman named Rebekah arrived with a water jug on her shoulder. Her father was Bethuel, who was the son of Abraham's brother Nahor and his wife, Milcah. ... [62] Meanwhile, Isaac, whose home was in the Negev, had returned from Beer-lahairoi. [63] One evening as he was taking a walk out in the fields, meditating, he looked up and saw the camels coming. [64] When Rebekah looked up and saw Isaac, she quickly dismounted. [65] "Who is that man walking through the fields to meet us?" she asked the servant. And he replied, "It is my master." So Rebekah covered her face with her veil. [66] Then the servant told Isaac the whole story. [67] And Isaac brought Rebekah into his mother's tent, and she became his wife. He loved her very much, and she was a special comfort to him after the death of his mother.

Genesis 24 brings us the lover story of Isaac and Rebekah. In it, God’s provision to Abraham and his son Isaac clearly demonstrates the faithfulness of the Lord to His people. The servant’s prayer is simple, yet clear: “Give me success and show kindness to my master. This is my request. I will ask one of [the young women] for a drink. If she says, `Yes, certainly, and I will water your camels, too!'--let her be the one you have appointed as Isaac's wife.” The response is exactly as the servant prays. Rebekah’s obedient and generous heart wins her not only a special place in the covenant of God’s chosen people, but a place in God’s will.

The story of Isaac and Rebekah ought to remind us of the provision of our Lord. Many see this story as being true only because of the extraordinary circumstances of this period in history. “Oh, that was Isaac, the son of Abraham! Of course God would listen to him, but not to me.” But this defeated attitude reveals a lack of faith and trust in the Lord’s promises. Our Lord says to "[k]eep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for. Keep on looking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened” (Mat. 7.7). The Lord promises to meet our needs! Yes, yours! Be your need immense or miniscule, God hears and answers the cries of His children. Just as He provided for Isaac, so too can He and will He provide for you. We need only ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment